Creating a Dropdown for Categories in WordPress
Out of all three platforms, WordPress has the easiest method in converting your Categories list to a Dropdown menu. So we'll discuss it first.
- From the Dashboard, click on Appearance, then Widgets.
- If you don't already have the Categories widget added to your blog, click and drag the available widget to one of your sidebars.
- Then you may click on the dropdown arrow to the right of the Categories Title and the properties appear.
- Click on "Show as dropdown".
- Click Save.
- Click Close.
- You're done.
Creating a Dropdown for Categories in Blogger
This is not as easy as the WordPress method but much easier than the TypePad solution, so we'll discuss this method next. It involves editing HTML code.
- From the Dashboard, click on Design,
- First, be sure you have the Labels gadget added to your blog's sidebar and drag and drop where you want the list/dropdown located.
- To add Labels to your sidebar, click on Add a Gadget.
- Then select Labels.
- Drag and drop where you want it in the sidebar.
- Save again.
- Now, we'll make the necessary changes in HTML.
- Click on the Edit HTML tab.
- Back up your current template in case of error. Under Backup / Restore Template, click on Download Full Template.
- Now you're ready to modify the code in the large text box under Edit Template.
- You do NOT need to click Expand Widgets. You can use CTRL + F (Command + F on a Mac) to use a Find and search for Label1 looking for the code:
- Then replace that one line of code with this set:
- Then click Save Template.
- You're Done.